I grew up in the inner city of St. Louis where my twin sister and I were raised by a single parent, since our father was hospitalized with Parkinson’s disease. I know what it means to go to bed hungry at night. I have a heart for the poor. Before every other description, I’m a child of God and a follower of Jesus, striving to live my life following the example of Francis of Assisi and Vincent de Paul.
My wife Dana and I have been married 26 years and have three wonderful children, Christina (23), Graham (20) and Gavin (17). We live in Rochester, MN, where I serve as the rector of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church. I have been elected four times as a deputy to General Convention, served as a Regional Dean, served on the Executive Council and the Joint Finance and Audit Committee, and was appointed Treasurer of the Episcopal Church in Minnesota in 2012. I currently serve on the Joint Standing Committee on Program, Budget and Finance in preparation for the General Convention 2015. My spiritual renewal times have recently included a leadership retreat on Iona in Scotland and a month of service and language study in Cuba. Before coming to Minnesota, I served as Dean of the Cathedral in Wellington, NZ; I served as a pastor of both program and pastoral size faith communities in Wisconsin; I traveled between mission churches in Colorado; and I served my diaconal ministry in downtown St. Louis.
Others describe me as a caring and down-to-earth pastor; an inclusive, nonjudgmental and passionate preacher; a competent liturgist; an insightful teacher; a skilled administrator; and a collegial, ecumenically and interfaith minded leader in the community. I pastor the St Luke’s community with energy, enthusiasm and a sincere interest in other people. My personal interests include singing and playing guitar, racquetball, reading and cooking.
Academic histories and training
- 1988-1993 Doctor of Ministry, Anglican Studies, Seabury Western Theological Seminary
- 1980-1984 Master of Divinity, Theology, DeAndreis Institute of Theology
- 1975-1980 Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy, St. Mary’s Seminary College
- 2014 Celtic Leadership Retreat on Iona in Scotland, The Center for Regenerative Society
- 2012 Certificate, Mini MBA, Luther Seminary / Augsburg College
- 2011 Spanish Language School, Iglesia Episcopal de Cuba
- 2005 Continuing Education, Worship, The Seminary of the Southwest
- 2003 Advanced Certificate, Congregational Development, The Seabury Institute
*Please click here to view Reverend Doctor Douglas Sparks’ Responses.